BEEF TALLOW:- A re-introduction to our roots.
The original cooking fat.
Everyone thought that I was crazy because I suddenly started asking for butter at restaurants and demanding to have the fattiest cuts of steak but soon enough, they relaxed, I was not getting fat but on the contrary, I looked great, stomach flat and glowing and then they listened and started trying and became believers. Most people accept what they read in newspapers and magazines without ever questioning the motives behind the write-ups.
When I read anything, the first thing I want to know is who the author is, once I find out, I follow up to see if there is any conflict of interest, and is there’s any, I don’t bother but if there is not I follow up further.
I love to read. I have been reading since I can remember. I would read anything. I remember a book I read when I was about 7, at the time it was a very big book, found it somewhere and read it from cover to cover. The name of the book is ” The Methuselah Enzyme”. It was about a new drug that could reverse ageing and make people live forever. I never forgot the book and I think that book really spawned a lot of thoughts in me growing up.
Anyway, this write up is about my latest love, fat from grass fed Cows.
This is the kind of fat found in the stomach and around the organs, melted under low heat and produces the most amazing fat ever, the only thing that is as close is butter but it’s better than butter because it has a high smoke point which means you can deep-fry with it. I fried my favourite, Salmon head in the first batch of Tallow I made from the 1kg I bought, I was hooked! Out of this world taste! I now remembered, memories from my childhood, when we killed a Ram at Easter and all that delicious fat! I set out the next day to find me some more and I did! Found a store where I can have it on demand so I took home 10kg which costs me about $2 ( Did someone say dirt cheap gourmet eating?), if not for my Oga patapata, I had wanted 20kg, but I am glad he stopped me because I spent the last 24 hrs melting the 10kg I bought. I am so excited and so happy!
Our great grandparents , grandparents and even my dad ate ( we ate with him too) rendered beef fat or from Sheep because it was available, cheap, and tasty.
Scientists in our grandparent’s generation decided that everything about fat was bad and most people shifted to cooking with vegetable oils. At least those of you here now have learnt that the reverse is the case, fat ain’t no bad guy. We ran from fat and became fat as a result so what gives?
I have spent time with the French and they are very traditional and a lot of them still cook with fat and they I think are better off for it.
According to my research,Tallow is an extremely stable fat, due to its high degree of saturation (56%) and low level of polyunsaturated fatty acids (3%). This means that it does not easily go rancid and can withstand heat. What’s more?
Reasons why you should consider using tallow for your cooking.
1. Stable, not easily rancid:
Tallow is stable at room temperature and does not generally go rancid quickly. It has a high shelf life if rendered free of impurities. Added to that, it can be used for any sort of deep frying as it has a high smoke point compared to other oils or fats.
2. Bone health: It is recommended that at least 50% of the dietary fats should be saturated. This is because calcium can be be effectively incorporated into the skeletal structure only in the presence of saturated fats.
3. Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA): Recent research points out that conjugated linoleic acid or CLA ( I play with Amino acids a lot! Name it and i have it in my kitchen pantry) is a potent cancer fighter and fights all three stages of cancer – initiation, promotion and metastasis. Since most anti-cancer agents block only one of these stages, the high concentration levels of CLA present in grass-fed beef tallow can help in preventing and fighting cancer in humans.
It has also been shown to reduce the risk of heart disease been shown to reduce heart disease
4. Immunity builder: Tallow is a great immunity builder owing to its antimicrobial properties. When used in cooking, it can give instant energy to the body as a saturated fat. Used on the skin? Same effect too. We used that from Ram as kids.
5. Omega-3 retainer: Beef tallow retains Omega-3s in tissues than many other hydrogenated oils or animal fats. This is another plus to tallow as it accomplishes this only on account of its composition as a saturated fat.
6. Rich in antioxidants
7. High levels of Vitamins A, D, E, K
8. Did I forget to mention that you can get it free or for next to nothing?
Benefits of Beef Tallow Applied to Skin
1. Rich in anti-aging antioxidants
2. Rich in vitamins A, D, E and K that nourish the skin directly
3. Easily absorbable as beef tallow closely resembles the human skin cell structure
4.Tightens and maintains integrity of skin cells
5. Promotes skin cell regeneration
Follow the link below to see how to do it yourself.